Monday, January 19, 2009

New Year's Resolutions to Re-energize the Human Spirit

With all that is going on in the world today it is really easy to lose sight of what’s really important, ourselves. Especially during times of stress it is vitally important to take care of ourselves so that we have enough energy to enjoy time with our friends and family and be fully present with them. No one wants to miss out on life because they are sick. Engaging in physical activity and eating a healthy variety of foods on a regular basis are only two parts of the puzzle. Being creative and stimulating our brain is also necessary to feel truly alive. Just a small amount of effort on a consistent basis can have a big effect towards improving our state of being.

For 2009 I am incorporating some creative intentions into my list of New Year’s Resolutions. As inspiration for others, here is my list:

1) Download one new song to my iPOD weekly, preferably something not played on the radio every day.
This will give me at least 52 new songs for me to listen to and introduce me to great artists that don’t get enough media attention.

2) Try out one new recipe per month.
It’s not difficult to find 12 new recipes. The hard part is planning for it during your week to make sure the needed ingredients are bought and on hand. Enough new ideas for almost two weeks of dinners by the end of the year, a great start to a collection of family favorites!

3) Spend time in nature once per month.
I would love this to be a weekly event, if not more often, but considering my schedule it’s just not likely unfortunately. However, this is important to me to feel grounded so I am starting my goal-setting small in this area with plans to increase the frequency when possible. This includes visits to the mountains, trails, and beaches during the year.

4) Play soccer once per week.
Since I play in two adult leagues with overlapping schedules this shouldn’t be difficult. I love soccer and have been playing for twenty years. Besides the physical benefits, I enjoy the camaraderie with my teammates and forget all of my worries while playing because my mind is so much focused on the game.

5) Volunteer with three or more organizations.
Performing community service always gives me a good, warm feeling to know that I am helping others who need it. Depending on the project, I sometimes learn new skills too as another added benefit.

6) Smile and laugh as much as possible.
After all, laugher is the best medicine. My children are big supporters in this area.

I hope this list has stirred your imagination and you are already creating your own mental list of things to prioritize for a healthier you in the coming months ahead. If you are interested in learning more about some physical activities you may not be aware of be sure to see my previous post Have You Played Today? for some additional suggestions.

I would love to receive comments on your ideas for incorporating more creativity into your life.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Shannon!
    Just wanted to say, I LOVE #6 on your list! I am a fellow CTI coach, and I am just finishing leadership. My leadership project is ALL about smiling! I also loved your other post about slowing down to savour our lives. LOTS OF POWER in that too! It is one of the best ways to tap us deeper into our intuition. Best of luck to you as you move along your path.

    Love & Laughter to you!
    Leann

    ReplyDelete